Kia Rio: Consumer Reports Best Compact Car
DETROIT (Reuters) -- Kia Motors Corp.'s next-generation Rio topped Consumer Reports' list of small cars, beating out more popular rivals in the U.S. market, including Ford Motor Co.'s Fiesta.
The highly influential consumer magazine praised the Rio's "nimble" handling, simple climate and radio controls and smooth transmission. Consumer Reports also said the interior is more cohesive than its earlier version, which had visible screws.
Nissan Motor Co. received poor marks for the overhaul of its Versa sedan. The magazine said the ride was jittery and engine sounds were "overwhelming and offensive."
"The changes plunged it from the top of CR's ratings to the bottom," Consumer Reports said in a statement Thursday.
Rising gas prices since 2008 have prompted more U.S. consumers to consider small cars. As a result, automakers have revamped their cars to be more stylish and comfortable. Many of these vehicles also come with options like back-up cameras and voice-activated entertainment systems.
"Subcompact cars were once collectively known as 'penalty boxes,'" said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports.
He added that the new redesigns "make a number of subcompact models good all-around choices for people looking to stretch their budget."
The Rio sedan's overall road-test score was 67 out of 100. It edged past refreshed versions of Hyundai Motor Co.'s Accent and the Chevrolet Sonic, built by General Motors. Both scored a 65.
The Fiesta snagged a score of 61 and the Versa got a 53.
The Rio and the Accent are built on the same platform and share the same engine, but otherwise, development of the two vehicles is kept separate.
Consumer Reports touted the Accent's 31-miles-per gallon fuel economy, but said the ride was bumpy. The Chevrolet Sonic got 28 miles per gallon, which Consumer Reports deemed "unimpressive" for the segment.
The cheapest model that Consumer Reports tested was the Nissan Versa at $15,490. The most expensive was the Sonic LTZ hatchback at $19,870.
- Recent News & Events
- Jun 1 — KIA GIVES $200,000 TO OKLAHOMA RELIEF
- Jan 23 — DC COMICS INSPIRED KIA'S ON DISPLAY AUTO SHOW
- Dec 27 — THUNDER, KIA MOTORS ANNOUNCE NEW CORPORATE PARTNERSHIP
- Dec 13 — KIA PLANNING 1ST CLASS BRANDS BY 2017
- Nov 23 — KIA TO LAUNCH 51 NEW OR UPDATED MODELS
- Nov 10 — KIA POSTS 12.6% SALES INCREASE
- Aug 20 — The 2012 Kia Soul is this year's No. 1 Back-to-School Car
- Aug 3 — Kia Motors America July Sales Up 5.6% - Quick Facts
- May 12 — James Harden: Kia NBA 6th Man of the Year
- May 5 — KIA SALES CONTINUE ROCKING
- Mar 31 — KIA RIO IS A CITY COMMUTER'S DREAM RIDE
- Mar 26 — Kia Motors Posts Largest Gains In Fuel Economy And CO2 Reduction
- Mar 22 — Kia Rio: Consumer Reports Best Compact Car
- Mar 7 — Kia Motors Posts All-Time Best February Sales
- Nov 4 — Kia's Sporty 2012 Rio
- Aug 31 — Kia Forte's MPG Shines Among Midsize Cars
- Jul 4 — Review: Kia Forte Koup Is A Kool Companion
- Jun 13 — Kia Expands Partnership with NBA: Presenting Partner of 2011 NB
- Jun 10 — KIA HYBRID - COMING SOON!!!
- Jun 7 — 2011 Kia Sorento Named One of the Best Family Cars
- Jun 3 — Kia Motors Hires Nearly 1000 At Georgia Plant
- May 23 — 2011 Kia Sportage Earns AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Award
- May 10 — Consumer Reports Ranks Kia Optima Over Camry and Accord
- Apr 25 — 2011 Kia Sorento Named to Best Cars For Families List
- Apr 22 — Kia To Begin Making Optima At Georgia Plant
- Apr 16 — Kia Increasing Overtime To Produce More During Shortages
- Apr 11 — Upcoming fuel economy regulations expected to drive car prices h
- Apr 5 — 2011 Kia Sportage Named 2011 Northwest Affordable SUV of the Yea
- Mar 31 — Big Red Kia: Made In South Korea And Ready For New Car Shor
- Mar 29 — 2011 Kia Optima EX: Dare We Say The Camry-Killer?
- Mar 23 — 2011 Suzuki Equator Best Compact Pickup for the Money: U.S. News
- Mar 18 — Kia introduces more powerful Sportage SX
- Mar 14 — 2011 Kia Sorento SX - Testimonial
- Mar 11 — Coming Soon: 2011 Kia Optima HYBRID
- Mar 10 — KIA BASIC WARRANTY NOT TO BE OVERLOOKED
- Mar 7 — 2011 Kia Optima Earns Five-Star Crash Safety Rating From U.S. Go
- Feb 28 — 2011 KIA OPTIMA - CARS.COM CAR OF THE YEAR
- Feb 25 — BIG RED KIA PRIMED FOR HIGH GAS PRICES
- Feb 24 — Blake Griffin jumps 2011 Kia Optima to win Dunk Contest
- Feb 23 — 2011 Kia Forte VS. 2011 Honda Civic